From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:30:33 -0500
MAPS-L       MAPS-L      MAPS-L
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:26:26 -0400
From: [log in to unmask] Alice Hudson
Subject: recent rare map thefts!
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Message from [log in to unmask] on Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:28:06 +1000

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [ILAB Security] Fwd: Theft notification from
          the FBI

To send messages to the ILAB Security mailing list, please send to

For the information of members

>FBI ALERT/REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
>The Federal Bureau of Investigation has requested that this Alert/Request
>for Information be posted on this listserve.
>
>On Wednesday, June 8, 2005, an individual identified as Edward Forbes
>Smiley III, age 49, (photo attached) of, among other places, Martha's
>Vineyard, Massachusetts, was arrested by local authorities in Connecticut
>for the alleged theft of a map from the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript
>Library, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.  The map allegedly
>stolen was the New England map from John Smith's Advertisements for the
>unexperienced planters of New-England ? (London, Printed by I. Haviland?
>1631.)
>
>Smiley is alleged to have visited the reading room at the Beinecke Library

>on June 8, where he allegedly surreptitiously cut the above-described map
>from the volume.  There were allegedly additional maps found in Smiley's
>possession that appear to have been stolen from the Beinecke Library, as
>well as several additional maps whose previous owner remains
>unidentified.  In the aftermath of the arrest, the FBI has been in contact

>with certain other rare book libraries and learned that those institutions

>are finding rare maps missing from volumes that Smiley had viewed.
>
>The FBI requests that institutions holding rare maps in their collections
>review their records and collections as soon as possible 1) to determine
>whether Mr. Smiley reviewed books/maps in their possession and 2) to
>determine whether any maps are believed missing.
>
>The FBI requests that any information be provided to Special Agent Steve
>Kelleher, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 600 State St., New Haven CT
>06511; telephone (203) 503-5116.

Visit our home page at http://www.cornstalk.com.au(See attached file:
Security mailing list
To send messages to the ILAB Security mailing list, please send to