From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:15:20 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Zillow: Instant Home Valuations
Date:   Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:07:44 -0800 (PST)
From:   Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

You should probably consider yourself lucky to be able to locate your home
and its estimated value.  There are 4 states that do not have listings on
this website yet.  Idaho is one of the four and some others states have a
lot of gaps depending on where your homes are located.  Many county
assessor's offices or local real estate multiple listing services sign
license agreements with the county that limits the disclusure of sales and
purchase prices of homes.  In the case of Idaho, our state is a none
disclosure state - meaning that property sales price is not required to be
disclosed by the buyer or the seller. In Idaho, the organization that hold
the best sales data is Multiple Listing Service (MLS).  And, these realtor
organizations consider their information copyrighted.  I would think
restricting this information to the buyers or sellers can only hurt the
business of the realtors.  I would be curious to see if zillow.com CEOs
can obtain the public domain parcel data information from each individual
county assessors offices from Idaho and make them publicly available.
Without the sales data, I don't know how they can do their mathemetical
formula to come up with valuation for the current market prices.  I know
most of our counties are willing to share their parcel data on the web.
The trick is how to amend the non-disclusure act through the legislation
revision...

I checked the King County, WA area and Seattle homes.  They seemed to be
pretty up-to-date and estimated prices are close too.  This free access to
real estate prices is a huge undertaking and I think the ordinary citizens
who are shopping for real estate are the winners.

Lily Wai, INSIDE Idaho Administrator      Phone: 208-885-6344
Professor Emeritus                        Fax:   208-885-6817
University of Idaho Library               E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
Rayburn Street
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2350                  http://www.insideidaho.org