From:
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 12:53:24 EDT
3 messages.-----Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 16:39:48 -0400
>From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: travel/tourism ephemera collections?

Alice,

I passed on your note to the heads of our Rare Books and Special
Collections departments, Charlie Mann and Sandra Stelts. I'm hoping they
can help you with this query.

Paige

At 04:16 PM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:

>     A researcher here, working on a book about travel/tourism
>     literature--as in touristy fliers, postcards, posters, etc. is seeking
>     the names of curators of such, experts, collectors, whatever.
>
>     Any ideas out there? Think kitsch, think fun, and think about who you
>     know who curates a collection, perhaps as part of a travel history
>     collection/library...
>
>     He has or will examine various archives, as in American Express and
>     Rand McNally, but those collections are almost too serious for him I
>     think. He is also looking for articles written about this stuff. NOw
>     where is my copy of LCSH anyway...
>
>     Many thanks for your assistance,
>

>     Alice Hudson
>     Map Division, NYPL

>Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 16:39:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Evron S Collins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: travel/tourism ephemera collections?

Alice,
The Popular Culture Library here ar BGSU has a collection he might want
to check out.  They have postcards and also some other tourism stuff.
Also have collections of things like World's Fairs.  They have a Web
Page or he can call (419) 372-2450.
Evron S. Collins
Map Librarian, BGSU
Bowling Green, OH 43403
(419) 372-7905

>Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:42:32 -0500
>From: Ellen Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: travel/tourism ephemera collections?

Alice, we have some materials that fit this description--nothing like a formal
*collection* though.  There are, for example, pamphlets and maps of the Indiana
Dunes, brochures promoting train travel to Indiana sights/sites, some documents
relating to the French Lick and West Baden resorts.  Unfortunately, we're just
in the throes of automating and our catalog can only be searched on-site  (it's
still cards!) right now.   Your researcher is welcome to visit us, or I can
send you our list of folks who do research for others.  Ellen

Ellen Crosby  [log in to unmask]
Indiana Historical Society 317/232-1879 voice
315 W. Ohio S  317/233-3109 fax
Indianapolis IN 46202  http://www.ihs1830/org/
Opinions expressed here do not fulfill the provisions of 21.1B