From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:54:38 -0600
Subject: RE: zip code data
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:58:47 +0000
From: Roger Knouff <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Chris,

Your grad student is correct in the sense that the U.S. Postal Service
thinks of zip codes in terms of postal routes and not areas.  Until a
year or so ago, if one wanted to acquire current zip code areas - which
were constantly changing in Arizona during the boom years before 2009 -
one would have to spend about a thousand dollars to get this information
from a private vendor as the post office was not interested in providing
updated zip code areas each time new zip code areas were created.  I
have no idea if the USPS is required to designate the zip code areas for
the Census Bureau every ten years, or if the Census Bureau figured it
out on their own.

About two years ago, zip code polygons became available via ArcGIS
Online.  I am thinking maybe since ArcGIS 10.0.  I know the University
of Arizona has ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 available, so your grad student
patron can gain access to the zip code polygons via the pull-down menu
connected to the Add Data button in either ArcMap 10.0 or 10.1.  They
might also have access with ArcMap 9.x if the service packs are up to
date.

The following are instructions for getting zip code polygons via ArcMap
10.1 (and probably ArcMap 10.0):

1. Open ArcMap

2. Click on the little menu down-arrow that is on the right-hand side of
the add data button.

3. Select the "Add Data From ArcGIS Online..." option.

4. Type "Zip Codes" in the search box.

5. Several options will come up.  Click on the "Details" to decide which
one you want to add to ArcMap.  Click on Add.

6. Go get some coffee, it is going to take a couple of minutes for all
the zip codes of the U.S. to be added to the map.

7. The zip codes will be in .sdc format.  If she wants .shp format saved
locally, she can right-click on one of the .sdc file folders, select
data, and select the "Save Data As. . . " option.

8. Click on the folder icon to select a file pathway, name the file, and
to select the preferred data file type.   She can choose either personal
geodatabase, shapefile, or database feature classes.

8. Go refill the coffee cup as a the 630 MB shapefile is being generated.

These are polygons of the zip code areas.  I downloaded a December 2011
dataset today while preparing these instructions.

I do not know how to acquire the actual postal routes, but hopefully she
does not need the actual routes.

With the highest regard,

Roger Knouff, MAS-GIS, MLS
Map/GIS Librarian