From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:54:53 -0400
Subject: Re:      Copyright of DRGs (fwd)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:07:05 -0700
From: Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
disclaimer: I'm not a copyright lawyer, so don't quote me in a law case...

Federal information is copyrighted in the sense that you can't take it and
claim it as your own.  However, you are allowed to use it (giving proper
credit) for your own gain.  A concrete example is I couldn't take the CIA's
World Fact Book and publish it as my own work.  However, I can print a nice
version of the CIA Fact Book and sell it for profit without having to pay
royalties. Electronic data seems to work the same way.  If you want to take
freely available federal data and repackage it for resale, that's okay.

Be careful when working with State data.  Many states take the same stance
as the federal government.  However, some states do not, especially with
large electronic datasets which they can sell to recoup some of the expense
of producing them. So, there's no easy answer on state data.  It depends who
produced it.  You really need to contact the providers.

Local governments are even less likely to have their data be "public
domain."

Kathy Stroud, Librarian
Government Information and Maps
Shields Library