From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:06:32 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:54:41 -0500
From: Elmo <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Newbie Mapguy Question Fest
Sender: Elmo <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and to mapping in general.
As you might imagine, I have several questions.

I'm planning to do all manner of mapping including things like
the US distribution of various consumer electronic purchasers,
environmental impact studies, etc..

Does anyone know of any good sources of GIS data?
(perhaps even a few good mailing lists and/or forums
dedicated to GIS)?

What are the best public domain sources of GIS dbase data?

Also, I've recently purchased ESRI's Arcview and I'm in the process
of comparing it to MapInfo (as well as any others that might be
appropriate).  Any suggestions or feedback as to your experience
with the strengths and weaknesses of any of these programs
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Elmo L. Morelli
Newbie Mapguy