From:
Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:15:41 +0000
Hello,

In the words of Facebook, "It's complicated."

Special Collections is completely separate from maps (and Gov Docs). They do have a limited map collection.

From some time in the 1990s to just this year the Map Collection was part of the Government Documents Department/Unit.  The majority of the maps coming into the Library through both the Federal and State Depository Programs went to the Map Collection. (Even prior to the Map collection being co-located with the Documents Collection and working along side the Documents Librarians, the Map library received selected maps issued on Deposit by the FDLP.) The main Map Collection does have a secure area for rare or fragile maps that are not in Special Collections. Having mediated access to maps in an area where the reference model is becoming more self-service is a matter that should probably be revisited. (Side note, our Documents/Maps reference model has been slowly shifting over the past several years through reduced staffing and personnel changes.  This is a topic that I would like to see an overarching discussion on in our Library, but it hasn't materialized, yet.)

Starting this Fall, our Map Library falls under the newly formed Data Services. While no longer in the same department, this change has not affected our collection development relationship with the Documents program. Additionally, the Documents Librarian and I still work together on coordinating collection development and maintenance of maps that are government documents. Most maps that are received through government depository programs still end up in the map collection.  However, the situation is more fluid and subject to change then in the past.

Kathy Stroud
David and Nancy Petrone Map/GIS Librarian Knight Library
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1299
541-346-3051