From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:23:39 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:18:29 -1000
>From: Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: unfolding a map? <fwd>

Aloha,

The July 1997 issue of the WAML Information Bulletin has three photo-
essays on map humidifying and flattening.  Some great ideas and ingenuity
were presented by map librarians and archivists from the British Columbia
Archives (Barry Byers), Alaska State Library (Artemis BonaDea), and the
Arizona Dept. of Library, Archives and Public Records (Dale Steele, Julie
Hoff and Michael McColgin).

I'd like to add from personal experience and suggest that after you
get the map as flat as possible, you might try placing it in a large
"envelope" of clear mylar.  Use a squeegee to remove as much air as
possible.   Photocopying the map in the mylar envelope will further
reduce the tendency of the folds to "lift" while being roll-fed through
the copier.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection     [log in to unmask]

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---