From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:07:25 -0500
Subject:        RE: compact shelving for map cases
Date:   Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:11:57 -0400
From:   Armstrong,Helenjane <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
CC:     Mcauliffe,Carol P <[log in to unmask]>

In 1987 the first electronic operated compact shelving for map cases was designed and installed at the University of Florida.  When the new Science Library was built the moveable cases were planned as part of the building at the same time moveable book shelves were built for the large science collections.  I wrote an article and did several national presentations on our experiences and gave both the positive and negative aspects of the process.  Hamilton large 5 drrawer map cases were installed on Spacesavor carriages.  We combined 126 used and new map cases 3 cases high with reinforced map case tops to hold the Libraries numerous oversize atlases.  In addition two rows of map cases have smaller shelves build expecially to house the UF collection of NASA film rolls.
I have cited the information below.

      Armstrong, HelenJane “Compacting Your Collection: Innovative Strategies in Map Storage” Bulletin Special Libraries Ass. Geography and Map Division No.167   (March, 1992) pp.2-20

We were very pleased with the cases and the only negatives occurred as we were pilot project.  We had had to learn the engineer/ architect languages and glean what we could from museum case storage facilities.

Several libraries sent visitors to our Library and adapted the carriages for their operations.  The most notable was the Cartographic/Photo Division of the National Archives in D.C.  They were building a new facility and needed housing for thousand of map cases compared to the UF collection of 126 map cases.  Their operation was successful and they lent me some of their photos for various talks.  Using our Library as a prototype they were able to have Spacesavor improve the motor size, flooring and other minor things for their facility.

  While it most of the elements I covered are still applicable, please note the article was written in 1992 and there have been improvements to the equipment.  I suggest you have someone visit the National Archives. contact the Map Librarian at UF, and if possible speak to the former Map Librarian at Western Washington Univ. as she has seen the moveable map cases at the University of Florida.

For 18 years I worked with the map cases on moveable carriages and will be glad to answer any questions.  The current Map Librarian at UF is very helpful and I am sure would be happy to correspond with you.  Her name is Carol Mcauliffe ([log in to unmask] )  and she is on MAPS-L.

Helen
HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Map Librarian/Geography Prof. Emeritus
University of Florida