From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:55:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: maps displaying projections]]]
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:49:47 -0400
From: pga2 <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Ken!

I've been following this since your original question and
can maybe supply a bit of insight. I've used the .B72
subject cutter several times in the past, most usually with
those maps typically titled "xxxxx equidistant projection
centered on the city of xxxx" or something similar since
this is a vary apparent way to show how this type of
projection is used in the cartographic sense. Another type
of map that lends itself to similar subject cuttering, is
the Peters projection maps of the world. And so on.
Naturally, then you want to use the appropriate subject
heading, which I believe is Projection (Cartography) though
I'm not positive since I'm answering from home and do not
have access to tools to verify this. I believe a few of the
specific projection types also have specific subject
headings established for them, e.g., Peters and Mercator
(again not positive, can check next Monday). So, with
appropriate assignment of these subject headings and/or the
ones you mention below here is one way for your students to
locate maps of a specific projection.

I believe you're right in the main about not being able to
retrieve on either the Proj: fixed field code or the 255$b,
but this may be a matter of the particular ILS system being
used. We're a SIRSI library, and practically everything is
indexable in our system. I am not at all positive, but
wouldn't be surprised if we can retrieve based on the
textual information in the 255$b, via a keyword search. I
highly doubt that we are set up to use the code in the
Projection fixed field. So, depending on what system you are
using at your institution (Voyager, III, etc.) maybe you can
see if someone can make the 255$b indexable and therefore
searchable.

Another possibility comes to mind in terms of your wanting
to find a way to collocate maps of a particular projection
type. How about using the 655 form/genre subject heading
field to your advantage? Or the 653 "Local subject heading"
(I think) field? Once again, this would depend on whether it
is indexed in your particular system.

Any many of the best cases where a map has been created to
show the outcome of a particular projection (Butterfly and
Heart come to mind, don't know what the projections are that
they are based upon) the projection name and/or even the
word "projection" is in the title, so a keyword search on
such terms should prove semi-successful.

I wish you well on this endeavor, I think you would be doing
a service to your students to create a mini-collection of
these types of maps for them to use. Perhaps what you'll
have to do is manually create such a mini-collection by
pulling examples from your drawers, then create a local
record to represent these as a map set with an appropriate
title such as "Maps based on specific projections for
classroom use", in square brackets of course, and give them
all the same call number based on using the .B72 subject
cutter? Do keep us all posted as to how this turns out!

Sincerely,

Paige