From:
Maps-L Moderator for Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:49:35 -0500
Subject:        Speaking of potential toxins . . . Nautical Charts?
Date:   Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:11:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:   Linda R Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Map&AirPhotoDiscussionList <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

The recent discussion on potential toxins on fumigated maps brought to mind the Material Handling Data Sheet (MSDS for short), which I received many years ago about nautical charts. You can see a digital version at:

http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/6700.pdf

Apparently, the nautical charts are (were?) printed with ink that contains formaldehyde. Thus, there are some potential concerns for people who handle them. I am not sure if this is still the case. However, it should influence disposal decisions (no recycling).

At the time, the charts were printed by the Defense Mapping Agency. Linda Zellmer

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian