From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:03:30 -0400
Subject: Creative ideas for superceded map disposal]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:03:53 +1000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
UCLA had a library bookstore, run by student (volunteers?) that sold
discards and unwanted donations of books, maps etc form the campus'
entire
library system. I used to pick up some great maps there.

Other options include:
- listing them on maps-l
- donating them to a Third World university (if relevant in subject
matter:
superceded US 24k's are probably not wanted, but general world maps
(JNCs,
ONCs, TPCs, IMWs, JOGs etc) and maps of the recipient's region would be
welcomed by most geography depts or map collections. Faculty or research
students or international students may have connections, alma maters etc
and be happy to ascertain if they'd be welcome and even ship them for
you.
But check first if it's wanted, as I've been to too many developing
country
libraries that are full of unwanted material that's been donated by
foreigners and will never be used.

Brendan Whyte
Melbourne University