From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 14:14:19 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:05:24 -0500
From: David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: IFLA--Bangkok and You

The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
(IFLA), will meet in Bangkok, Thailand from Sunday, August 22, 1999 to
Saturday, August 28, 1999.

Why is this important for you?  IFLA is the international annual
conference for the world's library associations and for libraries.
ALA and SLA are member associations and many libraries, maybe even
yours, are members. The Geography and Map Section is responsible for
issues concerning our community, such as the upcoming revision on
cataloging rules for the broad area of electronic cartography.

If your  association or library is not a member, they can contact IFLA
at:  [log in to unmask]

At our last meeting in Amsterdam it was noted that we only had 23
attending or giving papers at our G&M paper session.  This was said to
be due to that fact that there were other meetings in the region just
before or after the IFLA conference.  Although the numbers were low,
those participating represented 11 countries from Asia and Australia,
to Europe, and North and South America.

It is important to support our "subject" oriented associations and
their meetings, but we need to realize that our "big" bosses will be
at IFLA, not at NACIS, ICA, AAG, or WAML.  If we truly want to impress
our administrations with just how important we are to their
organizations, we need to present the best possible image in the forum
in which they are participating.

All this said, I would like to invite papers for the Bangkok meeting
in the following areas:  1)  Cataloging of Digital Cartographic
Materials, 2)  Cartographic Resources and Internet Reference Service,
3)  Acquisition and Storage of Traditional and  Electronic
Cartographic Materials, and 4) Continuing Education for the Map
Librarian in the Electronic Age.  The paper session will be held on
Monday, August 23, 1999.  Please send all proposals to:  David C.
McQuillan, Map Librarian,
Thomas Cooper Library, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
29208  USA ([log in to unmask]).

Check with your travel agent about the great deals in flying to Asia.
There are also around the world tickets that will allow you to pay one
price and fly in one direction.  If you come from the East Coast, you
can fly through Amsterdam to Bangkok and then on to LA or San
Francisco, or do the reverse, fly from the West Coast, to Bangkok,
then on to Amsterdam and New York or Atlanta.  Note that ICA runs
through August 21 and that the IFLA paper session is not until August
23, which is only the beginning of the week-long activities of library
visits, receptions, workshops, and field trips.

IFLA meets in Jerusalem in 2000 and Boston, Massachusetts in 2001.
Join now and have a say in the future of our profession.
--- End Forwarded Message ---