From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:53:38 -0600
forwarded from a couple different lists

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [MapHist] Looking for Gender and Cartographic Culture papers,
AAG 07 Annual Meeting
Date:   Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:56:35 -0600
From:   Christina Dando <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l

Help! We have lost two papers -- we would be interested replacing them one
or two papers addressing cartographic culture and gender.  Contact either:
Christina Dando  [log in to unmask]
Penny Richards  [log in to unmask]

Call for papers -- AAG 2007 Meeting
17-21 April, 2007, San Francisco, CA

Gender and Cartographic Culture

We are seeking papers that examine the intersection of gender and
cartographic culture.  Cartographic culture, as defined by Matthew Edney is
“the understanding of and attitudes towards maps as representations of
spatial knowledge” (Edney 1994, 385).  We conceive of “cartographic
culture” to encompass the spectrum from public to private, from broader
public uses in literature and popular media to its use in leisure,
self-education, and personal correspondence. We are interested in how maps
are utilized, by whom and for what purposes, particularly addressing issues
of gender. Recent work in the history of cartography has drawn attention to
both the role of women in mapmaking as well as the use of maps by women.
This session seeks to advance research on gender and map use, continuing to
expand our understanding of the “history of map use” and the impact of
gender. We hope to present a range of papers, historic as well as
contemporary studies, including, we hope, on masculinity and cartography.

Christina Dando
Assistant Professor
Department of Geography and Geology
271 Durham Science Center
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Omaha NE 68182-0199
(402)554-3134

_______________________________________________ MapHist: E-mail discussion group on the history of cartography hosted by the Faculty of Geosciences, University of Utrecht. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the University of Utrecht. The University of Utrecht does not take any responsibility for the views of the author. List Information: http://www.maphist.info Maphist mailing list [log in to unmask] http://mailman.geo.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/maphist