From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:41:41 -0500
Subject:        Re: Map cataloging questions from beginning catalogers
Date:   Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:31:20 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Susan, ya beat me to it! The nice thing is that I /am/ spending most of
yesterday and today doing cataloging, so I'm mentally into it.

Ava and Darla:

Susan is right on target with her advice. This item probably should be
treated as a map series (or "map set" in the physical sense) as opposed
to 1 map on XX sheets even though geographically-speaking you could lay
all the sheets out side-by-side and form a single map out of the result.

Bibliographically speaking Susan brought up but one change from creating
a record for a monographic map, and that is changing the code to a "b"
in the CrTp fixed field. Related to this then is the structure of the
call number for this group of maps (okay, I'll call it a map set from
here on out); specifically you would create a call number that
represents all sheets in the set and within that call number instead of
having a date you would replace the date with an abbreviated version of
the scale. In your case it would be "s1500". So a potential G-class call
number for this set might be:

G5701
 .C2
s1500
 .U5

Assuming that each sheet has a unique identifying number or alphanumeric
tag and/or sheet name, you can then append to the end of this base call
number the unique number when writing it on each sheet, and do the same
with any item-level records you create within your cataloging system.
Generally speaking, a number or alphanumeric number on map series is
tied directly to a map index for the series, which you may or may not
have available.

Susan also mentions a good way to handle information about the
individual sheets coming from different editions, creating a note as she
shared. You may also see this handled in a 250 Edition Field as either

250  Various ed.
or
250 [Various ed.]

as particularly this format was Library of Congress' practice for many
years.

One other aspect to mention if you do things this way and that is how to
handle the "extent of item" or 300$a subfield information. Its actually
simpler than if you chose to describe this as "1 map on XX sheets"!
Instead, just supply the word "maps" in that subfield and you're done!
Then, if you know for sure how many map sheets make up the entire
geographic area and set, you may wish to add a 500 note:

Geograpically complete in XX sheets.

to be helpful to both users and other catalogers.

I hope this also helps you both, and feel free to also contact me if you
wish with further questions...

Paige