From:
Kay Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:40:07 EDT
I'm new to map cataloging and am hoping someone on MAPS-L can help me.  To
what lengths do catalogers go to include coordinates on map records?  I was
estimating to the corners of the maps, but now I just record the closest
latitude and longitude readings to the corners.  Plus, are catalogers
converting centesimal coordinates to sexagesimal, or are they just omitting
any recording of French grads?  I've cataloged some French maps assuming the
French treated Greenwich as their starting longitude, and have since been
told that the French may use Paris as their starting longitude.  Is Paris
indeed the zero longitude point on a map in grads?

Thanks!
Kay G. Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Libraries Cataloging Team