From:
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 13:13:10 -0500
Subject: What is the general direction that maps and map collections are
heading towards?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:47:56 +0000
From: Tony Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

Hello,

My name is Tony Diaz and I recently got appointed as assistant to the
Geology & Planetary Sciences Division Library at Caltech.

My question concerns our map collection.

Let me inform you first of our map collection.  Our collection is very
small, we mostly have CA Division of Mines maps and Open-File Reports.
Among our local collection are Dibblee Maps, as well as historical
topographic maps of Los Angeles County.  (We also have California
Topographic maps).  Our scanning software consists of a 42-in. plotter,
and the system was bought from Source Graphics, based in Anaheim, CA.
It is a stand-alone operation, and is running Windows 2000.

My manager would like me to ask:
1) what is the general direction that maps and map collections are
heading towards?
2) what kind of map scanning software do any of you use?  I would like
to upgrade my system.
3) what items in our map collection should be scanned and preserved?