From:
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:44:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Shrinking Number of Maps received through FDLP
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:52:56 -0700 (MST)
From: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Kathy,

Part of the problem is that the printing of USGS maps has been moved to
the FAA.  FAA has a huge backlog of items to print.  When will we see the
maps?  Who knows.

The co-op (USGS-NFS) topo program is funded through 2007 (?), and this is
yielding most of the recent topos.

There has been a dramatic drop in the number geology (thematic) maps from
USGS.  With the demise of the GQ, I, MF, etc. series, this is to be
expected.  Also the MF series has been available exclusively on the web
for the last few years.

hope this helps,

--chris

> Subject:        Shrinking Number of Maps received through FDLP
> Date:   Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:01:23 -0800
> From:   Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Hi all,
> I was talking with some other librarians the other day about the
> implications, for map libraries, of the Federal Depository Library
> Program going digital and I got to thinking. Since our library is a
> selective depository library, we receive many maps through the
> depository program.  There have been noticeably fewer maps received this
> year. I went to the GPO Monthly Catalog database and did an expert
> search dt = “maps” and limited it by this year (2004).  The search
> retrieved 254 items.  I also did a search for previous years (see
> below).
>
> 1997                 2346 items
>
> 1998                 1941 items
>
> 1999                 1216 items
>
> 2000                 1780 items
>
> 2001                 1398 items
>
> 2002                 1532 items
>
> 2003                 1219 items
>
> 2004                 254 items
>

> What I found was a continuing trend of fewer maps in the FDLP each
> year.  This was no surprise.  However, this year’s numbers were quite
> surprising to me. I realize that the year is not over yet, but are there
> really 75% to 80% fewer maps this year or is it just that many maps
> published in 2004 haven’t been distributed yet?  Am I overlooking
> something in my search strategy?
>
> If we’re only receiving 200 maps a year through the depository program
> rather than 1,000, the movement away from print materials is already
> significantly impacting our collections and operations.  Any thoughts?
>

> Kathy Stroud, Map/GIS Librarian
> Government Information and Maps
> Peter J. Shields Library
> 100 NW Quad