From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:57:58 -0500
Subject:        standard map series designation
Date:   Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:40:28 -0500
From:   Efron, Jessica M <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, all.

We here at UT are in the middle of retrospective conversion to support
our big topographic map digitization project. We are cataloging Texas
topos, sheet by sheet, and I have a series of cataloging questions
related to the “Standard map series designation” system.

It doesn’t come up often, but some of the topographic maps are AMS
Series V[something] or DMA Series V[something] or other “Standard map
series.” When I look up the authority for these series, they all lead to
one place: ARN 1328653.

The authority record phrasing reads, “Record the standard map series
designation in a varying form of title (246 field) preceded by the
standard, invariable introductory phrase: ‘Standard map series
designation.’ The designation is normally recorded in the form in which
it appears on the chief source…”

Now, I understand this to mean I should enter, for example:

246 1_ $i Standard map series designation: $a Series V882 [and nothing
more?]

If this is correct, would this 246 replace a 490 (untraced) field, which
has the handy subfield v? If so, does the volume/sheet designation then
just occupy a note?

I always try to find lots of examples (and then copy them) when I don’t
understand. But only a few institutions have interpreted this odd little
gem as I am interpreting it. Otherwise, there are all sorts of
variations involving the 246, the 500, and different 4xx and 8xx fields.
What is correct? All the 670 examples in this authority record are from
1985 and predate the 1996 change.

If you’ve read this far, and can explain or clarify, please respond, on
or off list.

Thank you,

Jessica Efron

Jessica Efron