From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2013 20:55:20 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Francis Herbet" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo 'Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:45:00 PM
Subject: RE: Help with mystery cyrillic Yugoslav 25k  maps?

Dear Dr Brendan Whyte,

Do you mean your 5 sheets *really* "cover *SW* Serbia near the Bulgarian
border (between 43 & 44 degrees N, 22-23deg E)" - rather than, in fact,
*SE/E* Serbia?!

If my question is confirmed (backed by the coverage co-ordinates you give)
in the positive, I would tentatively suggest that you have part of a 1920-22
International Boundary Commission map set - and, presumably, the
Yugoslav/Serbian version (hence the Serbian Cyrillic). The 'Bulgarian
version' is in French; thus, sheet 20 is titled 'Dobro Youtro'.

This French-language, 29-sheet 'Bulgarian version', at scale 1:25K is
entitled - within each sheet's neat-lines - 'Carte de la frontière S.C.S.
Bulgare dressée par les soins de La [!] commission de deLimitation [!]
1920-1922'. The sheet numbers are trab [= top right above border]. The
longitude is from Paris. Sheets with "Institut Géographique de Bulgarie"
(bottom right below border) have statement "Echelle 1:25,000 Equidistance =
20 m."; those with "Tiré à L'Institut Géographique de L'A.S.H.S." have
statement "Echelle 1:25 000. Equ. 20m.", but some have pasted-over
correction slip of "10m." (sheet 15 is correctly printed as '10m.'). There
seems little point in feeding you more potential 'red herrings' until you
are able to follow up this suggested lead.

For what it's worth, this information is taken from the set in the RGS-IBG
Map Collection (call-mark: Bulgaria S.10), which was accessioned on 19
February 1930; quite co-incidentally [!] this seems connected to an article
published in 'The Geographical Journal', April 1930, 75(4) entitled
'Boundary work in the Balkans: a paper read at the Evening Meeting of the
Society on 10 February 1930, by Colonel Frank L. Giles . . .'; this article
begins with section 'I. The Yugoslav-Bulgarian Boundary' on pp. [300]-303.
(On each map sheet "Lt. col. [!] Giles" is the I.B.C. representative for
"Gr[ande]. Bretagne".)

Quote from the US Dept of State's relevant 'International Boundary Study
Bulletin': "Location of the boundary pillars are shown in sheets 1-29,
1:25,000 scale, of the International Boundary Commission, 1920-22." (p. 6,
section 'IV. Summary'). The French-language 'Bulgarian version' shows these,
too. I guess you can follow up this tentative suggested identification -
after all, you have Professor Victor Prescott over there! And there is also
the resources of the International Boundary Research Unit, University of
Durham(UK). But maybe someone else can improve/confirm this suggestion?

Francis Herbert (former Curator of Maps, RGS-BG)