From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1993 10:24:49 EDT
Here are several messages in response to the Penn place name requuest.
------------Johnnie

              Thu, 09 Sep 93 14:46:58 EDT
              "Bruce B. Harper" <[log in to unmask]>
              Re: Pennsylvania place name info request

On Thu, 9 Sep 1993 14:11:53 EDT Mary Anne Waltz said:
>We would appreciate reference assistance from some one with a larger
>collection in place name and/or Pennsylvania history materials.  A faculty
>member is researching the borough of Orbisonia, Huntington County, in Pa.
>He would like the basics: date founded, origin of name (Orbison family?),
>early industry (coal? iron?).  We have found nothing in the two place name
>books on Pa. that we have, or in a dozen or so Pa. histories we have searched.
>(We have no Pa. county histories, unfortunately.)

   Among rail buffs, Orbisonia is a well-known location.  The East Broad Top
narrow gauge railroad is located there, along with the Shade Gap Electric
Railway.  The EBT hauled coal to a connection with the Pennsylvania
Railroad.  When business turned bad, the operation was pretty much abandoned
in place and remained pretty much undisturbed over time.  I belive there
is a movement somewhere in Pennsylvania and/or Washington, D.C. to make
the site a national park or national historic site.  A check in _Trains_
magazine might provide information on books (or railroad book shops to
inquire of) for books about the East Broad Top and Orbisonia.

                                        Bruce

P.S.  There is also a listserv list, [log in to unmask], which might
be a good place to cross-post some of these requests, since a number of
the rail buffs (like me) on that list are interested in history and maps
(especially for locating former rights-of-way and other rail facilties and
locations).

  Bruce B. Harper, data analyst
  Code and Data Standardization Project
  130 Smyth Hall, Institutional Research
  Virginia Tech,  Blacksburg, Virginia  24061-0433
                                  (703)231-5019  <----- NOTE NEW NUMBER!
  BHARPER@VTVM1 (BITNET) or [log in to unmask] (Internet)

---------------------------------------

      Thu, 9 Sep 1993 13:32:58 -0700 (PDT)
      Stan Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: Pennsylvania place name info request

I assume you have tried "Pennsylvania Place Names by A. Howry Espenshade,
reprinted by Gale Research in 1969 (unless you have original edition).
I don't have a copy in front of me.
What I do have is a Columbia Lippincott edition of 1882 that provides the
following:  "Orbisonia, a post-village of Huntingdon co., Pa., on the
Huntingdon & East Broad Top Railroad, 12 miles S. of Mount Union, and 40
miles W. of Carlisle.  It has 4 churches, a newspaper office, a superior
hotel, and 2 iron-furnaces, owned by the Rock Hill Iron & Coal Company,
who do a large business in mining iron ore.  The name of the station is
Rockhill.  Pop. in 1880, 766."

If no one else can provide more on the origin of the name, I can ask my
colleague, Donald T. Clark, University Librarian Emeritus of UC-Santa
Cruz.  His father-in-law was the compiler of Pennsylvania Place Names, A.
Howry Espenshade.  Perhaps he will have a clue.

Stan Stevens
UC-Santa Cruz