From:
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2013 08:11:07 -0500
Subject: Manhattan, etc.
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 23:14:28 -0700
From: Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Angie -

Where you heard it was here because I sent an email to the list when I
first saw it announced and went on over to Vromans and picked it up.
I've found most anything that Tyson writes not for his heavy-duty
scientific buddies is well-worth reading which is one of the reasons I
suggested it.  The other reason is, obviously, we are largely a bunch
of map nuts/geeks/nerds/whatever and most of us are curious to see
what other folks think about how the world (or pieces) is/are
represented by non-map folks.

One thing I've noticed since reading this book is that the way I draw
sketch maps or give directions for people who aren't so much into maps
is ask whether they're familiar with the logos of things like the gas
stations, convenience stores, etc. we have here.  Then, I use those as
the pointers for showing them how to get to the place they want to go.
  For example, to get to my place from the east, I say:

1.  Take Mt. Olive Drive exit to the first stop light
2.  Turn left (west) so you go in front of the Mobil station on Huntington
      Drive.
3.  Continue through the next stop light that's by the 7-11.
4.  At the first corner after the light, turn right (north towards the
      mountains) and park on the right (east) side of the street.
5.  Go to the driveway about 1/2 way up (north) on the left (right side) of
      the block and enter my phone number after following the instructions
      on the directory by the gate.

The only hitch comes if they don't know what the logos for the places
I use look like!  One of my midwestern friends wanted to know whether
we had a  BJ's.  No BJ's in California!

Enjoy the book, everybody.

virginia
Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
Email:  [log in to unmask]
"There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.jpg
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58' 5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 7' 4.54" 122W 45' 50.95"