From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:12:12 -0500
Subject: Collection Development Policy for digital geospatial data
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:45:10 -0400
From: Marcel Fortin <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Message sent on behalf of Richard Pinnell:

The members of the Scholars Portal’s (Ontario) Technical, Standards and
Collections Working Group (TSCWG) are currently discussing how we might
populate the  Ontario Geospatial and Health Data Portal.   We have
determined that there is a need for two documents, each informing the
other.  One document would be our vision for the portal in terms of data
content and the other a working document which details data loading
strategies and priorities.  We think that a good place to start is the
vision which, once codified, would have many of the characteristics of a
collection development policy statement.

Many of us in the past have gone through the process, perhaps many
times, of creating a collection development policy for cartographic
materials (printed or manuscript maps, atlases, aerial photos,
gazetteers, etc) for our respective libraries or archival collections.
  Some of you may have gone on to create such a statement for your
geodata collections:  vector GIS layers, geodatabases, orthoimagery,
satellite data, and so on.  You may have considered factors such as
collection purpose, subject,  date or chronology, file formats,
language, copyright considerations, and data exclusions.

I have an example of a collection development policy for the National
Geospatial Digital Archive, Branner Earth Sciences Library and Map
Collections node (2007):
http://www.ngda.org/research/Collections/NGDA_Collection_Development_Policy_11_06_final.doc.

It looks useful but TSCWG members are interested in other examples of
policy statements, for both Canadian and American geodata repositories
and collections.  If you have such a document and you are willing to
share would you please post to the listserv or perhaps send to me directly?

   Many thanks

   Richard

    Richard Pinnell, Manager, University Map Library and Branch Library
Services

   Library, University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON N2L 3G1 Canada

      Email:  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

      Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 33412

      Fax: (519) 888-4320

--
Marcel Fortin, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Map Librarian