From:
"John P. Snyder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 17:27:25 EDT
In answer to Susan Goodman's question about a world map shown on gores, as
Jerry Evenden says, it is an interrupted projection.  Several such maps were
produced during the 16th century.  Some are shown in Nordenskiold's Facsimile-
Atlas of 1889 (reprinted by Dover Pubs. in 1973; see pp. 78, 79, and 81, and
plates XXXVII and XL).  The frontispiece of the National Geographic Atlas of
the World, 4th ed., 1975, has a more recent one.  I have plotted outline gore
maps on my computer (no larger than 8-1/2 x 11"), as on p. 42 of my
Flattening the Earth (U. of Chicago Press, 1993).  Globe manufacturers have
used various ways, often proprietary, but published approaches in Russia and
Germany have described interrupted Cassini and modified polyconic
projections.  I understand Rand McNally used to sell gores, but I don't know
of a current outlet.

John Snyder