From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:30:06 EST
3 messages.--------------------------------Johnnie

<Date: Nov. 7, 1996
<From: Johnnie D. Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
<Subject: Scanner

The University of Georgia Libraries Map Collection has had a HP Scanjet IIc for
about the last three years.  It is used fairly heavily by all sorts of patrons.
Many use it to copy sections of air photos to a disk so they can take it to
their home or company computer syatems.  The scanner is attached to the Map
Room's GIS lan so images are easily exported to workstations with many types of
software.  The scanner is easy to use and the staff does not have to do a lot
of support help. (Well it is easier than ArcView!).  Other than bed size, the
patrons do not complain about the scanner.  We could sure use a large format
scanner/copier.

Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:34:31 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask] (Frank Lopresti)
>Subject: Re: Scanner

I use an HP 4p (4c is the higher density - more for image centered work)
Additionally I got a 50 sheet feeder for this machine.. another $500. It is
robust,fairly fast,300dpi, accurate for using a "bubble answer"
questionnaire data collection program - Remark - I don't use it for
scanning + gis... Frank

Frank Lopresti                          Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Statistics and Mapping                  Tisch, Room LC8
New York University                     Telephone: (212) 998-3398
251 Mercer Street                       Fax:       (212) 995-4120
New York, NY 10012

>From: "Patrick McGlamery" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:21:03 -0500
>Subject: Re: Scanner

Duane Marbles says:

> We have had good luck with the HP scanners. In particular, I would suggest
> the HP ScanJet 4c Color Scanner. It does good color and is high
> resolution. I see that it is available for about $830 but HP also provides
> academic discounts.

I concur.  We also purchased the Transparency add-on which enables us
to scan 35mm slides and other microform with our HP ScanJet 4c/T

One caveat.  On our campus many departments can afford the desttop
scanner.  No one seems able to come up with the money for a large
format scanner.  There is a real need for that device on campus for
general use.  I think the Library is a logical place for such a
device as the library is where most copying gets done.

Patrick McGlamery
Map Librarian
Map and Geographic Information Center U-5M
Homer Babbidge Library
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06268
TEL: (860) 486-4589