From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:46:34 EDT
This message is from C. Cagle.------------------Johnnie

>Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:05:09 -0700
>From: \""C. Cagle"" <"<[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cartography problem - Earth Expansion

There is a school of thought in geology that the earth has undergone gross
expansion from ancient times.  I would like to illustrate this by assuming
an ancient smaller earth whose total surface area consists of the present
continental land masses (including Greenland, Madagascar, etc.)

Through a process of mass creation in the core of the planet (which is
related to dipole reversals) lithospheric tension appears and the solid
lithosphere splits into the present continental shapes.  Seafloor expansion
drives these landmasses radially apart to their present position.  Sea
floor chronology is interpreted by some to absolutely fit this model which
eliminates the entire idea of subduction.  For a recent offering on this
subject go to:

        http://www.kwluckert.com/

I'm interested in finding out how to make a 3d computer map which has only
the present continental surface as its total surface and then showing
successive stages of expansion.

Any idea about how to do this:  I'm presently using Extreme 3d on a power
mac which allows me to map 512x256 (or anything that retains that ratio)
onto spherical surfaces.

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards,

C. Cagle