From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:22:32 -0600
Subject: Wisconsin colleagues
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:27:34 -0500
From: Armstrong,Helenjane <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings to all of my Wisconsin colleagues.  I would like to second
Alice and Brian's offer of support.  As a proud graduate of Wisconsin's
primary through collage schools I am very concerned about what is
currently happening in Wisconsin.  I am very grateful to the many
teachers and librarians who were working for lower pay and benefits when
I went through the system in the 1950-60s.  If it weren't for my "free"
public school education, I am sure I would never have achieved whatever
I have in my scholastic and professional life.

  Also I am concerned that some colleagues may not recognize that what
is happening in Wisconsin can affect our own libraries.   After 3 years
of reduced budgets and cut backs, the  new Governor of Florida is
drastically cutting education funds.  The ex-Governor of Illinois wanted
to gut the pensions of its public school teachers and librarians.  A lot
of time, effort and money had to be spent educating the legislature that
the teachers had taken lower pay as part of a contract in which the
comparable salary would be put into a retirement plan.  In some offices
the Wisconsin Governor's actions are being held up as as example of how
to deal with budget problems.  Although I am not an activist, I have
lived through 45 years of budget cuts and political agendas.  It has
made me naturally a little sensitive to "political" situations which may
eventually affect libraries.  My concerns are with Wisconsin colleagues
but also with the other librarians/curator's who may not recognize !
  a problem before it is too late.

Please forgive any personal tones to this message but I feel very
strongly that one of Wisconsin's great strengths has been it's
educational system and I would be  amiss if I did not offer any support
if it is ever needed.

On a happier note; Congratulations on finally acquiring the archives of
the AGS for NY.  I lived through the whole transfer of the AGS
collection and saw the many difficulties you all over came.  It is good
to know you are progressing well and  will be there for the foreseeable
future.

Helen

HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Map Librarian/Professor Emeritus