Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:37:59 -0500
Subject:        Re: input req'd: searching GovDocs by geospatial metadata
Date:   Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:04:08 -0500
From:   EileenJ <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

The "Future Digital System" can be designed to accommodate searching by
geospatial metadata …. if the map community gives GPO requirements for
that feature.

I would say yes, absolutely, positively the Future Digital System should
allow searching by geospatial metadata in conjunction with all other
search capabilities.

Decades ago libraries agreed that geospatial metadata elements were
critical for cataloging maps—because those elements were important for
precision retrieval. Scale, projection, datums and map coordinates have
been part of the full level description for decades, first in catalog
cards and then in machine readable format. However when we converted our
records to electronic form and the first search engines were developed,
they only allowed us to search authors, titles and subjects/keywords.
They were not sophisticated enough to let us search geospatially. We had
to trust that the technology would advance to the point that we would be
able to retrieve maps and geospatial data using the full range of
metadata that we have been creating.

Now technology exists that can create coordinates as part of the product
creation, like digital cameras with GPS that include coordinates with
the digital images. Now technology exists that can handle coordinate
searching, for example the ESRI products, Google Earth, and some of the
oracle versions (is it oracle 9i that can handle coordinates?)

Any new storage and retrieval systems should include the ability to
create geospatial metadata easily, to retrieve using geospatial
metadata, and to visualize material geospatially. Please include in your
response to GPO requirements in these areas.

1. Creating geospatial metadata:
Our map cataloging rules require us to include coordinates in a record
if the coordinates appear on the map. Google Earth makes it possible for
people without extensive geographic knowledge to compare a map against
GE and identify the corner coordinates. I have no experience with
ARCGIS, but I believe it can do the same thing.

The GPO system should enable the importing of files from GE, ARCGIS and
other appropriate geospatial tools with geospatial data for its records.
It should include fields that allow one to specify if the coordinates
are supplied by the producer or extrapolated from the tool.

2. Retrieve using geospatial metadata:
Our Integrated Library Systems predated the technology capable of
searching coordinates and are not being modernized to include geospatial
search. The only ILS that can perform a coordinate search is the
ExLibris' Voyager system (formerly the Endeavor Voyager system.) It has
an add-on module that allows text-based coordinate search, but which is
not integrated with the system's complete suite of search tools. It
allows you to limit by scale or scale range, by projection, and by date,
and then retrieve all records covering the coordinates you specify. But
the module does not let you search coordinates with authors, titles,
subjects, keywords and all the other data elements. For example, it does
not let you search for all US Army Map Service maps (publisher), showing
oil pipelines (subject), in series L552, over a particular coordinate area.

The GPO system should enable coordinate search in combination with all
other search capabilities. It must allow searching of author, title,
subject etc. in combination with all the geospatial elements.
Entering textual coordinates is error-prone. GPO should consider a
graphic interface that allows one to create a circle, polygon, or
outline of the coordinates and combine it with the other search elements.

3. Visualizing data geospatially:
GPO has been using the MARC format for about 20 years and has many
records that include coordinate data. When those records are retrieved
from a search, it's impossible to view them geospatially.

The new system should include the ability to visualize the hits over a
geospatial background. It should also include the ability to export the
records in a GE and/or ARCGIS format so that they can be visualized in
the predominant tools.

I'm glad GPO is asking for requirements to incorporate geospatial
capabilities in their new system. I'm just amazed that with GPS, Yahoo
Maps, Google Maps, Google Earth, and the explosion of GIS capabilities
in all kinds of technology, they still need requirements. Imagine if the
first search engines could only search by title and author. Do you think
the library community would be asked to generate requirements for
searching by subject when the search engines finally became
sophisticated enough to do so? The metadata standards for maps don't
include geospatial fields because they look nice in a computer. The
metadata standards for input are designed for retrieving information,
not storing it. Map librarians are unlucky that so much library
technology predates geospatial capabilities and that the ILS vendors are
dinosaurs at incorporating the latest capabilities in our systems.
Perhaps GPO can shine with the new system.

Eileen Janas
CIA Library

        *Maps-L <[log in to unmask]>*
Sent by: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"

10/29/2007 02:33 PM
Please respond to "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"