Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 14:06:34 EST
I absolutely second alice hudson's response to the question from the M.A.
student P. Blanchard. We seem to be getting more and more completely open
requests for information that should be being handled in the local Map Library.
Shouldn't we as map librarians not be afraid of responding in a similar manner
to other questions. My usual reaction is of course not to respond at all
because the person seldom indicates anything about having done any
prior work or visited a library or even from what background or perspective
they are asking the question. I guess there is an assumption that the Internet
will now answer everything! (are libraries really redundant ?).
   Perhaps we can try to encourage people  to  either visit their local map
library first or to say what sources they have checked that weren't useful.
Then perhaps they will get better responses.
Joan Winearls, Univ of Toronto Map Library

    : Wed Feb 15 10:43:56 EST 1995
       : Re: Help Wanted

If you are working on a Masters' thesis, and sitting in the middle of two map
collections of note, at Milwaukee and at Madison, isn't this research that YOU
are supposed to do? No where do you state you have done a literature search on
your own, or note that you have thoroughly searched these two map collections.

Alice Hudson
Chief, Map Division
N.Y.P.L.