From:
Ben Moffat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 16:50:00 EST
Help, please.

I am dealing with the subject of magnetic declination and have been having a
problem with some older US maps. Those that we have in our department are quite
dated - usually the 1:24000, 1:62500, and 1:250000 series - some going back to
the 1950s and 60s.

On Canadian maps there is usually a statement such as "average annual
magnetic chane 4' westerly" for example - that then makes figuring the
contemporary position of mag north on the sheet rather easy....now the
problem...

I cannot find any such statement on the US maps. Are there look-up tables that
have to be used, or am I missing something so obvious that it is about to make
me feel really, really silly when I find out what it is...???

Thanks in advance.

Ben Moffat
Geography - Medicine Hat College
Medicine Hat, Alberta