From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:03:07 -0400
Subject: MARBI proposals of possible interest
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:14:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: [log in to unmask]

------------------
From my reading of the discussion papers and proposals before the
Committee on
Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information, the chief proposal of
interest is
Proposal No. 2003-05, Changes to Field 352 (Digital Graphic
Representation) in
the bibliographic format.

This field was added to support the Content Standard for Digital
Geospatial
Metadata. The revision of Chapter 3 requires that the format name be
recorded
in the record. There currently isn't a subfield in field 352 where that
information can be recorded. The proposal is to add subfield q to record
the
information. Also, since AACR2 now calls for the topology level to be
recorded
in a note, the proposal also requests that subfield g (VPF topology
level) be
made obsolete.

On the FRBR front, we'll also get an update from the Joint Steering
Committee's
Format Variation Working Group.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Susan Moore
Rod Library
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA  50613