From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 15:36:44 EST
2 messages.-----------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 18:11:06 -0700
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paul R. Larson)
>Subject: Re: Government copyright

>I was reading a little item about government copyright in a local Minneapolis
>paper. Many non-federal governements that have not copyrighted material are
>looking at copyright as a way to generate revenue. Much of the debate seems
>to be that copyright might mean less public access (and it would mean map
>publishers would have to pay to use govermenet base materials). It got me
>thinking:
>
>1.  As I recall, crown (government) copyright in Britain is perpetual (I know
>this is true of Oxford and Cambridge U. Presses). Am I remembering rightly?
>
>2.  Is this still true of Ordnance Survey with its reformation into a
>semi-autonomous agency? In the US, once the Postal Service separated from the
>governement in 1971, they were no longer considered governement publishers
>and were able to copyright stamp designs.
>
>3.  Canadian government publications (notably maps) also have crown
>copyright. Is this perpetual? What about provincial governemnet documents?
>Specifically, what about Quebec governement documents, given that Quebec law
>is based on French, rather than English common law.
>

>Nat Case
>Hedberg Maps
>White River Jct, VT

In addition to Canadian maps, air photographs purchased from the Canadian
National Air Photo Library are copyrighted.  I am using one in my
dissertation, and it has a crown copyright as well.

Paul R. Larson
Assistant Professor, Geography
Room SC 309
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720

tel: (801) 865-8244
fax: (801) 865-8051
E-mail [log in to unmask]

>From: Pat Allen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Government copyright
>Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 5:47:52 EST

Nat,

I'm sorry that I can't be specific about the governments you requested,
but I did notice recently that the WWW sites maintained by the Australian
governmental agencies are copyright protected.  If they do this with electronic
stuff, they probably follow a similar route with their paper offerings.

Pat Allen
Purdue University