From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:13:41 EST

I agree that the current GIS packages do not allow the creativity and freedom of
expression that the drawing programs you mentioned do.  However, their increase
in ease of use over even the last two years make me believe that in the future these
GIS products will be as powerful and as easy to use as are those drawing programs.

The recent upgrades by the big 'uns (MapInfo, ESRI, Microstation, etc) all show this.
People are not awed any more by the simple stick maps that most people use as a
"GIS-based" map, and I agree that the accountant or sales manager using MapInfo will
not produce a "cartographically-correct" map.  Simple concepts such as a direction,
scale, and legend are viewed as superfluous by those using GIS as a business tool.

Don't be turned off by the failure of the user.  GIS is a tool, much as Illustrator,
CorelDraw, or my trusty colored pencils are.  The "new" definition of GIS as Geographic
Information Science rather than the "old" definition of it as a Geographic Information Systems
makes GIS seem an end in itself rather than a tool to the end.

When you were in school, was it a cartographic/geographic program?  Could there be a built
in bias simply because of the program?  The GIS program at the University of Denver refers to
cartography as what you do right before you print your map...

Me, I just draw maps.

Bill Penberthy.......................Educational Research and Design
Geoinfosys...........................Market Research and Demographics
1587 Locust Street................Custom Cartography
Denver, Colorado 80220.........GIS Consulting
(303) 399-8517......................Digital Mapping Data