From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:42:14 -0500
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Storage of Aerial Photos]
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:48:11 +1100
From: "Maura O'Connor" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum'" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Don
The National Library of Australia has over 800,000 aerial photographs of
the
country and areas to the north.  We store our photographs in specially
made,
but standard stock issue (in Australia),  of aerial photograph boxes,
made
by the firm South and Justice.  The firm is located in Sydney, NSW.
Within the boxes we gather the photos into their flight runs and run a
strip
of strong paper/light cardboard around them with a small tag protrouding
on
which we record the flight no.  We arrange the boxes according to a
standard
topographic series.  Because our photography dates back to 1928 and
covers
most of the period then to the late 1960s, with some to the late 1980s
we
have arranged the photography by the inch to the mile topo series.
Hence a
box may be labelled on its edge : I56-5-422  1949 which identifies the
year
of the photography and the topographic sheet area covered.  On the side
of
the box, the name of the area covered eg Liverpool and the flight runs.
The
material is then indexed in the same way topo sheets are indexed.  The
photo
boxes are then housed in the topo sheet order in book compactus
shelving,
which is electrically operated.
We also have flight diagrams for most of our photography and that is
organised in the same order.  The diagrams are drawn over a topographic
base
and show the direction of the flight lines, the occurrence and number of
every ca. 5th print and run nos., together with info on flight details,
runs, date of photography altitude, etc.
I wrote an article about this which was published in the WAML journal
many
years ago.  It included photogrpahs of our system.  If you do not have
access to the journal I will track down the details for you.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia