From:
Blake Gumprecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1993 16:00:23 EDT
Blake: GPO's "Depository Library Inquiry Form" can be used to notify GPO
of "fugitive" publications.  -- Gwen Curtis, University of Ky. Library
MAPS-L regulars may recall recent postings informing the map community
that the Manual of Federal Geographic Data Products, an excellent overview
of maps and other geographic products produced by dozens of federal
agencies, would not be distributed as part of the depository library
program, but could be requested directly from the Federal Geographic
Data Committee.

I requested the manual and was also sent the FGDC newsletter, which
included information on a variety of other publications issued by the
committee. I requested several of these as well and found when they
arrived that many would be useful in depository libraries. I was
surprised to find that none had been distributed through the depository
library program. I did a quick search on RLIN and found that no RLIN
library listed holsings for any of the FGDC publications other than the
manual.

I sent a message to the FGDC asking why none of its publications are
distributed to depository libraries. The official who responded didn't know
why and asked for suggestions. Is there some way for depository libraries
to request that the publications of a particular agency be distributed
through the depository library program?

Blake Gumprecht
Documents Librarian
Temple University