From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:20:46 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:35:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Cataloging maps with a bad scale bar <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

I am interested to see what people suggest to this conundrum.  I had a map
with a similarly incorrect scale bar, although the map I had was press
printed.  I found nothing in the cataloging manuals that directly address
the description of scales designated incorrectly.  Considerable discussion
was devoted to how much effort to make to compare (or rather, to not
bother to compare) map scales, but not what to do when the comparison
reveals errors in the map being described.  On the other hand, sometimes a
scale statement and bar scale are obviously off by large amounts.
Happens seldom, but it happened to me. I elected to borrow from the
technique used to describe incorrect pagination and incorrect publication
dates.

In the 255 field I indicated the stated scale, and in square brackets gave
the more accurate fraction, with the Latin abbreviation "i.e.", like this:

255     Scale 1:x,xxx,xxx [i.e. 1:y,yyy,yyy]

and in the 034 field I gave the corrected scale.  If there is some other
technique that is considered more appropriate, I would be pleased to know
about it, too.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---