From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 10:28:43 EDT
Ann,
     What aspect are you trying to automate? Cataloging, circulation,
acquisitions, preservation, etc.  Meridian and WAML Information bulletin
(both published by WAML) come to mind, but resources by ALA groups
specializing in the aspect you seek to automate will have useful guidelines
also.  One question to keep in mind as you do your research:  what is unique
about maps in this situation that deserves mention and, therefore, separate
research?  Don't assume your audience knows this.  Map folks always
appreciate students who become aware early of the need to define this.
Keeping in mind that you don't want to re-invent the wheel, also consider ACM
(American Computing Machinery(?)) publications.  They cover such variant
topics as Cataloging, maybe cover GIS, and other things concering
hardware/software issues.  They may be too technical, but are a valuable
resource about which to become aware.
     Good luck.
Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah

   I am an Information Science graduate student working on a research
   project for a library "Automation" class.  I am trying to find sources
   which present general guidelines for automating a collection of maps, and
   deal with topics such as

           o what hardware/software are currently available/recommended

           o what are the points on which the hardware/software should be
             evaluated

           o cost & use considerations

           o present and future trends

   Do any of you have suggestions for good, basic coverage of this topic?
   Are there any current sources on map librarianship which might give an
   overview?  I have read various issues of the SLA map group bulletin, but
   they are, for the most part, more specific and technical than my
   topic/audience warrant.

   Thank you for your help and suggestions!

   Ann Stark

   University of North Texas