From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:23:56 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:45:47 -0400
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: thanks for all the info on topos
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks dear Mapsters, for all this good info on retention or non-retention
of out of region topos. It is refreshing to hear the passion for public
service that surrounds the language about retaining particular topos. And
sad that for so many of us, space, real estate, turf...has such a negative
impact on map librarydom.

At NYPL, we keep the northeast regional topos,old and new, various scales,
nearby or in the reference room. Lots of big old states out west or down
south...those have been moved to our stack area under Bryant Park, behind
the Library; or to our Annex storage at 43d and 10th. The BP stuff can be
served in 20 minutes or so. The 10th Avenue stuff is more like one week.
So, I can fully relate to the space issue, the paper issue, the service
issue. Thanks to all of you for your input. Some of the lingo may find its
way into a memo or two from me to some library managers I know!!

Thanks again. I learned a lot!

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

--- End Forwarded Message ---