Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:11:43 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Persian vs. Arabian Gulf: early maps?
Date:   Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:54:10 -0800
From:   Fatemah Van Buren <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Ken,

The body of water between Iran and Arabian Peninsula is called Persian
Gulf, (Sinus Perficus; shown in the following 2 records in Latin, in the
early maps of Middle East that I have (ca. 1662+).

**ME: Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, 1571-1638.
 TI: Asia noviter delineata / Auctore Guiljelmo Blaeuw
 IM: New York : Penn Prints, [196-?]
 CO: 1 map : col. ; 30 x 38 cm
 SC: Scale [ca. 1:34,000,000]
"Map of Asia by the famous Bleau Family, 1662."
**ME: Langren, Henricus
 TI: Tabula situs paradisi terrestris / Henricus F. ab Langren, sculpsit
 IM: [New York] : A[rt] F[air, 195-?]
 CO: 1 map : col. ; 32 x 44 cm
 SC: Scale [ca. 1:15,000,000]
Facsimile of ed publ.:$c1698.

* Your patron can also contact the 2 Faculty members at Near Eastern
Studies at UCB who are expert in political, academic and geographical
aspects of this topic.

Professor Martin Schwarts   [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
and Professor  David  Stronack stronach
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> @socrates.berkeley.edu
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Please let me know if you want the maps in digital format.

Fatemah Van Buren
Head, Earth Sciences and Map Library
University of California, Berkeley
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/