From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:49:31 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Subject: geographic s.h. question
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005
From: Beth Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi, all.  I'm hoping someone out there can answer a question from a newbie
map cataloger.  Today I was cataloging a map of a portion of New
Hampshire.  As per our local practice, I was adding individual subject
headings for each town that had a separate street map on the verso of the
main map.  While searching the authority file in OCLC, I found that a
number of these towns had two headings: for example, "Meredith (N.H.)" and
"Meredith (N.H. : Town)".  I have not noticed this with towns in other
states.  And as far as I can tell, both headings are listed as valid in the
authority file.  Which is correct?  And if one is correct and one isn't,
why are both listed?

Thanks so much, in advance, for your help!

Beth

Elizabeth J. Cox
Special Formats Librarian
Morris Library, Mailcode 6632