From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:41:52 -0500
Subject:        Assigning subject headings to GIS data sets
Date:   Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:26:23 +0000
From:   Liss, Jennifer Ann <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I wondered if anyone on the list could point me to a best practice (or
offer a local practice) for applying subject headings to GIS data sets.
In particular, I've seen a lot of variation in the application of LCSH
form subdivisions.  There seems to be three approaches:

Bloomington (Ind.) $v Maps.

or

Bloomington (Ind.) $v Maps.

Bloomington (Ind.) $v Databases.

or

Bloomington (Ind.) $v Maps $v Databases.

I suppose I’m getting stuck on the idea that data sets on a CD-ROM are
neither maps nor databases, at least not without some other application
mediating that data.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Best,

Jennifer (and Heiko Muhr, Maps & Special Collections Cataloger)

Jennifer A. Liss
Metadata/Cataloging Librarian
Indiana University Libraries

Herman B Wells Library E350