From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:49:31 -0600
Subject:        Aerial maps of US from 1940s
Date:   Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:24:37 EST
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

I am an attorney in addition of being a lover of maps. I am wearing my
attorney hat as I write this. I have a case involving the rights of
various adjoining land owners in a tract of property located in the Buck
Creek section of Pulaski County, Kentucky. An important element of the
case involves how much of the land was being farmed in the 1940s. A
couple of months ago, I read in these post that during WWII, the Army
made aerial maps of the entire United States. The earliest aerial
photographs I have been able to find so far were taken in the 1950s. I
very much need to find a source for these old Army aerial maps. The area
I need is located in south eastern Pulaski County, Kentucky, and would
be on the Dykes or Hail USGS maps or at about 36 degrees, 59 min 50 sec,
84 degrees, 31 minutes, 30 seconds. There was an old Kentucky court of
appeals opinion from the 1940s that decided the boundary issue on this
land but unfortunately, the case referred to the "land currently being
farmed" and referenced a map. The map is no longer in the file so the
only way to determine the boundary is to look at old aerial maps to try
to determine the location of the land being cultivated at the time the
aerial photographs were made. Any help with this problem or referrals
would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Orwin
6066784386

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. *AOL
Music takes you there
<http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000004>*.