From:
Rich Boardman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:42:20 EDT
Scott,

In the Map Collection at the Free Library of Philadelphia, I have
flood maps for eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. I've
never counted them but there must be a few thousand. I don't catalog
the maps. They are stamped and then stored alphabetically by the
community name (or numerically within the county, the county being
placed in the same alphabet) in vertical files. Users either ask for them
by the community name (easy to pull out) or, in the case of a location within
a county that is arranged by map number, we get out the county index and
figure out the correct map. For us, it's the easiest way to store the maps
and simple to retrieve them. Hope this helps.

Rich Boardman
Map Collection-Free Library of Philadelphia