From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:31:26 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:56:12 -0400
From: Barbara Levergood <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
Subject: Census sample PDF maps

** cross-posted to govdoc-l, maps-l, gis4lib, and ncdocs. sorry for any
duplication **

I have been experimenting with printing out the PDF versions of sample
maps that the Census Bureau has provided on their web site
(http://www.census.gov/ftp/pub/geo/DR/dr_geopr.html,
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGallery/index.html.) I thought I
would share what I have learned and encourage others to experiment and
share your findings. The big question in our library is whether we will
have to purchase a plotter (to the tune of $10,000+) in order to print out
usable tract and block maps. The answer is looking more and more like
"yes".

PLOTTED MAP. I have a sample plotted map that a colleague picked up
at the State Data Center meeting. (We do not have a plotter, so I have
not experimented with Census’ sample HPGL maps.) The paper size of
the sample plotted map that I have is about 34" x 36". The map is multi-
colored, easy to read, and beautiful! Census tract and block boundaries
and numbers, etc. are easy to see. (Census has posted sample plotter
specs at { HYPERLINK http://www.census.gov/geo/DR/plotter.pdf. }http://www.census.gov/geo/DR/plotter.pdf.)

PDF VERSION OF MAPS. You can view Census’ sample PDF maps on a
computer monitor using Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can zoom in/out
and pan. Within the obvious limitations of viewing a large map on a
monitor, I found this to be satisfactory if all you need to do is view and
not print out the maps. The PDF maps (as well as the HPGL) are color
maps. Sometimes being able to see the color is critical and it is nearly
always very useful.

TEST PRINTERS. We just got an 11x17 color ink jet printer (HP 1220c,
http://www.pandi.hp.com/pandi-
db/prodinfo.main?product=deskjet1220c). I am testing the 11x17 (using
the settings color, best quality, fit to page) and a standard black and
white laser printer (8.5 x 11 paper, using the settings 600 dpi, fit to page)
to see how the sample PDF census tract and block maps print out. My
results so far...

CENSUSTRACT MAPS. You cannot see much of the detail of a
    tract map printed out on the 8.5x11 black and white laser printer. You
    can see the tract numbers but street names are not legible even with
    a magnifying glass. Boundaries are hard to see. Of course you can't
    see the color of the original sample maps and thus you often lose
    critical information. The 11x17 color ink jet is much better because of
    the color; the detail is somewhat better but still far from perfect. You
    can see the tract numbers and the tract boundaries are fairly easy to
    see. Street names are barely legible with a magnifying glass. I have
    not tried printing these maps out on a 8.5x11 color ink  jet.

I consider the 8.5x11 black and white printer inadequate for printing out
these tract maps. I expect that we will be using a color ink jet for printing
some tract maps in our library and most likely we will need the 11x17.
However, even the 11x17 will not be fully satisfactory. Based on my
testing, you need a plotter to print out entire tract maps on a single sheet
of paper to be able to see all of the detail (such as the street names) with
the naked eye. This is consistent with what I have been told by the
Census Bureau. (These are the file names of the tract maps I printed:
p0664000_01_tr.pdf, p0664000_02_tr.pdf, sacramento_trt.pdf.)

2. BLOCK MAPS. The tract numbers are legible on the 8.5x11 laser
printout of a block map, but the block numbers are not legible even with
a magnifying glass. Thus, the 8.5x11 laser is useless for block maps in my
judgment. Unfortunately, the 11x17 is also useless for block maps since
the block numbers are also not legible, even with a magnifying glass,
although you can see the tract numbers. Based on my testing, you need
a plotter to print out entire block maps on a single sheet of paper to be
able to see the block numbers. (These are the file names of the block
maps I printed: c45061_01_blk.pdf, p0664000_05_blk.pdf.)

3. There is at least 1 sample map (of US metropolitan areas) on the web
site that was designed to be printed out on 11x17 and it did so
beautifully. (File name: ma99_1117.pdf)

FUTURE PLANS. I have tried to print out a single PDF map across
several pages, but I got impatient after 20 or so minutes of waiting (it had
not even started to print). I never did get one to print out. I want to try
this again. Also, I want to try copying a small section of a PDF map and
trying to print it on 11x17 using “fit to page” to see what detail is visible.

CAVEATS. These are my judgements based on my limited testing and
the situation in our library. Your results may differ, so please try it out
and let me know what you find out. Please do not interpret my comments
as advice to buy or not buy a printer or a plotter.

                                                test map printing.doc

Barbara Levergood
Electronic Documents Librarian
Documents Section, Reference Department, CB #3912
Davis Library
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890
919-962-1151, FAX: 919-962-5537
Federal Depository Library #0447