From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:35:59 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:55:44 -0500
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: CD ROM Atlas for Latvia at NYPL <fwd>
Sender: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

Alice -

Alright, as one of those "other" institutions linked to these products I
will admit that we purchased one of their CD's: the Latvian atlas.
Interestingly, we have been unable to open the atlas however and do not
plan to acquire any other products until this first one becomes useable.

Admittedly, we have just begun discussions with the distributor/publisher
(Hamilton Global Management) regarding export of information into GIS
software, etc. Their data is available as a separate product, with assumed
separate pricing, which can then be used in conjunction with GIS applications.

Their marketing practices aside they did not proclaim that any of the
libraries mentioned "approved" of their products and you can see from the
above that we are witholding that judgement. Certain institutions - and
Alice, NYPL is one - will be used in marketing as "customers" who have
acquired specific products and that has been with us for a long time.

I find the other comments interesting in that some persons may be hesitant
to acquire a "national atlas" because it is in CD format or because it is
not compatible with "X" GIS software. Would we also choose not to purchase
a national atlas now in paper format since it is not compatible with GIS
software? Is it the lack of confidence in CD's as an archival format or do
we now expect all electronic products to be GIS compatible? Technically,
one should expect similar CD atlases to be much lower in price than
comparable paper products and I believe the market is showing that.

Now, as I see a Friday evening quickly approaching and the weekend looking
better and better as the snow is falling, let me quickly admit my own
personal conundrum regarding all that I have just said in the above
paragraphs! I am not convinced that CD's are anywhere near an appropriate
archival format and, at the moment, would always first want a paper format.
On the flip side, that option is shrinking but GIS compatibility would not
be my greatest concern right now. For $100 (average price?) most of us can
make a few mistakes but we may be able to offer our users a great deal of
information for a particular country or region on a CD which should be user
compatible - key word there?

In summary, I will followup with our ability to get the Latvian atlas to
run but would not recommend the others at this point.

David Cobb
Harvard Map Collection

>Subject: Re: CD ROM Atlases from Russia not at NYPL <fwd>
>Author:  Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]> at Internet