From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:48:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanned map copyright question
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:28:24 -0400
From: Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

> Now anything pre 1923 is outside copyright, as
> are U.S. government publications no matter the date.  So if your
> materials are pre 1923, you're OK.

This is generally accurate. What is being described, I think, is what is
termed a "derivative work," and there is some general guidance here:
<http://www.nedcc.org/resources/digitalhandbook/dman.pdf>. At the very
least permission would probably need to be obtained for use of the base
map, if 1923 or later. If the book publisher modified the base map, then
that may have its own copyright. The subsequently modified images may
then be eligible for their own copyright. This can get tricky--does your
library have an attorney on staff versed in these sorts of copyright
issues? A number of major university libraries have access to that sort
of support. I would be skeptical of relying on any singular advice from
this list, however well-meaning or well-phrased.

             Joel Kovarsky