From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:57:25 -0600
Subject:        GIS Day at Dalhousie
Date:   Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:44:33 -0400
From:   James Boxall <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dalhousie University in Halifax Nova Scotia is hosting a GIS Day that
is open to other partners and institutions. It is here, but it is a
community event!

The day begins with a cake cutting and speeches by senior administration
and sponsors.

We then have ESRI on site for demos. Also, the local municipal government is
presenting and will have a booth to demo their web products. We also
have the "main" agency for Nova Scotia here to talk and demo their work (geonova.ca).

There will be day long demos and "lunchless learns" to take people through
"how to do GIS".

We are also having a  geocaching event with prizes, a poster and map
competition, a geography contest ("what do you think you know"), and a "guess where
this is" contests where people try to guess locations based upon various images
from different satellite platforms).

It will be a fun day to get lost, and get found again :-) cake, speakers,
demos, contests, and loads of prizes! what more could we
ask for... (except maybe for it to stop snowing outside!)

We all you you all have a great day!!!!!!!!!!

--
James C. Boxall, FRGS
GIS Centre and Map Collection

President, Geomatics Association of Nova Scotia
Past President, Canadian Cartographic Association

Adjunct Professor in Geography, Planning,
Environmental Sciences and  Management