From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:01:18 EST
2 messages.---------------------------------Johnnie

>From: "Maura O'Connor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: aerial photography storage
>Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:46:40 +1100

Rich
Why not treat them as maps and store them flat in map drawers.  Use
mylar pockets or the encapsulating material you have used (what is it ?)
and/or use acid free jacketing material.  If you turn them on their side
and use half size jackets you should fit between 50 - 100 in each
standard map drawer.  I have a large set of Trobriand Island
orthophotomaps which posed a similar problem.  Larger than a map drawer
I nevertheless used the same principles suggested above and had an acid
free box made to sit flat on top of a map cabinet for them.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
Information Services
National Library of Australia

>----------

The University of Florida is the repository for the USDA FSA (old ASCS)
archival photos for the State of Florida.  The only other collection is
located in the National Archives.  This means we have 300,000 photos and
about a fourth of them are enlargements.  We have stored these in flat
mapcases approx. 55" X 45"  We purchased Hamilton cases because we usually
can put two piles next to each other in one drawer.  However, the 36" X 36"
enlargements as well as the large satellite images can only be filed in one
pile.  We purchased the mapcases with the cloth compressors so that the
archival materials are protected from the elements while being held in place.
These cases are not open to the public.  All but the current photos are
filed in mapcases which are on electronic moveable compact shelving bases
which are not located within the Map & Imag. Lib. reading room.   The current
flights are located within the reading room but are in locked mapcases.

The aerial mosaic indexes appox 24" X 24" are filed separately in 10 drawer
cases about 4 feet high which have approx. 4"h. per drawer.  The units are
metal and were designed as museum storage files.  They are located in our
reading room and accessible to the public.  These are very activity used
cases and have withstood rough handling for over 25 years.

If I had to replace these index files I would start by contacting our
State of Florida Natural History Museum for their equipment catalogs.
Since Hamilton is no longer making mapcases, I am not sure that there are any
comparable mapcases which are sturdy enough for the weight while having
the needed preservation features.

We did not consider filing the enlargements in binders because of negative
experiences I had working with such an arrangement when I was doing my PhD
research. What I wanted to see was never on one photograph.  Trying to mosaic
these togather was a problem as the curator did not want to remove any of
the photos from the binder.  After winning this arguement, I discovered that
the added binding strip obscured some information.  Also the strip would not
allow me to make a moasic of the photos by overlapping the photos.  The last
factor was the sheer weight of a binder of enlarged photographs.  It was
difficult for the patron to use and the binders with encapsulated photos
were even more difficult.  This lead to the photos often being stored outside
the binder for long periods of time in unsecured areas where damage occurred
to even the encapsalated photos.

As you noted this is an expensive undertaking.  This is why the photo col-
lection I was using was not entirely encapsulated.  The mapcases are also
expensive so a careful cost analysis will be needed.  Univ. of Fla. will have
to increase our aerial photograph storage in the next few years.  I will be
very interested to see what suggestions you receive.  Good Luck.

HelenJane Armstrong, Head University of Florida Map & Imagery Library.