From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:15:55 -0600
Subject:        Re: Mapping Software
Date:   Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:42:25 -0600
From:   Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     [log in to unmask]

>> A genealogist friend of mine would like to plot old place names on a
>> shaded relief map of China.  He is looking for mapping software
>> (preferably free or relatively inexpensive) that would allow him
>> to do
>> this and that would be relatively easy to use.

What we don't know is anything about how many place names, what scale
the finished product will be, and what further analysis will be
done.  The GIS solutions suggested so far may be vast overkill.
Perhaps all the genealogist wants to do is to plot, by eye, a half-
dozen towns on an existing CIA or other relief map of China and then
print it out for a family history album.  If we had a few more
details I think our responses might be more useful.