From:
April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 12:29:59 EST
   Greetings and salutations to my colleagues on maps-L and lis-maps:

   As a public service I would like to let you know that I subscribed
   to the new roadmaps-L list of Friday 1 March and on Monday morning
   over sixty messages were waiting for me; after lunch another twenty
   had arrived, with new messages coming in every few minutes.
   Obviously, a heavy traffic list.

   So far there have been one or two messages that have mentioned an
   interesting article or book. The majority though fall into the
   following categories:

   "I love maps"
   I collect "X;" does anyone have any to trade?
   I sell "X;" does anyone want to buy them?
   How do I store maps?
   Where can I buy maps?
   Where can I buy maps cheap?
   And lots of questions and answers that make me sad to see there are
   still so many people in the world who don't know what libraries are
   for.

   So far it's very American oil company and state departments of
   transportation. There were a few mentions of other countries.
   Obviously, all very 20th century.

   Map librarians may actually find a few things of use in
   acquisitions; trouble is, you'll have to wade through quite a bit.

   To my British friends, the word "trainspotting" comes to mind. Any
   American friends who don't know what that means are very welcome to

   And I like road maps!

   April Carlucci                [log in to unmask]
   The British Library                        Voice +44 171 412 7000x4167
   Map Library                                      +44 171 412 7703
   Great Russell Street                       Fax   +44 171 412 7780
   London  WC1B 3DG
   United Kingdom               "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"